This is the easiest and quickest recipe for a tasty (and healthy) homemade treat!
3 Jonagold apples (soft apples)
1 Braeburn apple (tart & firm apple)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the apples into small pieces and place into pan.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over the apples.
- Turn the heat to a medium temperature.
- Cover and allow to cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Turn down the heat, remove the lid, and stir.
- The apples should have softened and there should be juice in the bottom of the pan.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir to combine.
This recipe can be adapted an endless number of ways!
Other things I have added to the applesauce at various times include:
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Fresh cranberries
- Dried cranberries
- More or less sugar, depending on the sweetness of the apples
- Various spices including – allspice or ginger
In the photos, you can see I chose not to peel the apples. For a less rustic applesauce, peel the apples before slicing them.
This applesauce is a perfect side to any meal. It is also excellent served warm over vanilla ice cream!