Our neighbors made carrot salad for our Thanksgiving feast and I thought it was great! If you’re looking for a new way to use carrots, try this recipe. It’s a refreshing salad and it could easily be changed to include a variety of ingredients.
1 pound carrots – peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
Boiling salted water
¾ cup homemade tomato juice
½ cup honey or raw sugar
½ cup oil
¼ cup vinegar
2 tablespoons water
¾ teaspoon sea salt
Fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 small green pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
1 small sweet red onion, sliced thinly
- Place the carrots in a saucepan. Add boiling water so it comes 1/4 the way up the carrots.
- Cover and simmer until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the carrots. (You can also save the liquid and use it in a soup or broth.)
- Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the remaining ingredients over the hot carrots and cover.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Stir well and drain before serving.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Other ingredient ideas: apples, raisins, pine nuts, walnuts, and more!